PEX manifold project : HomeImprovement


Shortly after moving into my house, I found out that most of the house was plumbed with polybutylene. Since we weren’t having any issues, I didn’t do anything with it. However, as we got further and further into the house renovations, it struck me that now is the time to replace it; we’re pulling out cabinets and floors, I’m not going to have this sort of opportunity again. So, I dove in head first, figuring out where pipes were located and the best way to swap them out.

I decided I wanted to do a manifold system; the PB was done in a pseudo trunk and branch system, and it just looked crappy in the crawl space. I did this in two steps, since we were living in the house and I wanted to decrease the impact. The smaller manifold was done first and the larger one was done second (see below for more on that) If there’s enough interest, I’ll update the post with the parts I used.

I have one more run to make to the ice maker for the fridge, but I’m not doing that until we work on the kitchen remodel. There is a spare cold line, and I’ve attached a stub with a cap to prevent an accidental mess. You can’t see it, but behind the large board are 3/4 supply lines, each with their own shut off, so I can shut off the entire cold side or hot side to each board.

If I had to do it all over again, I would change some things

  • I’d chain all of the manifolds together and put them on one board. I did it the way I did because that was how the preexisting trunk and branch was configured, and it was the easiest way to understand it in my head.

  • Run all of the lines, or as many as you can, then attach them to the manifolds. On the larger board, you can see I ran into issues with lines crossing over each other. While the pipes aren’t touching, it just looks bad and bothers me.

Pictures here. https://imgur.com/a/QAiXVgF



Source link

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

truvallu.com
Enable registration in settings - general