Apparently, the water heater in the house I just bought shorted, at some point, and toasted the wiring at the top of the water heater. I’m guessing some water got into the connections and may have shorted out. The water heater is outside but covered (kinda). The thermostat looks perfectly fine. I’m wondering if I can rub new wiring from the thermostat to a clean section of the feeder wire.
I’m 99.9 and a half % sure the answer is going to be replace the water heater, but I’m wondering if it would be possible to replace the wiring and get it going again.