I am not sure if my post should be in Homeimprovement but here goes.
I was getting the AC unit from the basement and saw black dust or mold (Picture attached)
Basically I only use the window unit in the summer (I live in NY) and take it off the window when winter comes. I never paid attention to the inside of the unit or cleaned it, I had this unit for about 2-3 years. I live with my parents who have asthma triggered my dust/mold so I can’t have this lying around.
After looking at the picture, is this mold or black mold? any products recommended to remove or clean it or should I throw the AC away and buy a new one. Right now the unit is sitting outside. Ideally I prefer not buying a new one if this can be cleaned.
If I am buying a new one, should I get a portable unit possibly that cannot have mold growth?
AC: GE unit Model number: AEW06WL
Any help is greatly appreciated.